Laws Governing Subdivisions and Condominiums
Laws that ensure rational land use and sustainable urban and regional development
- Executive Order No. 72 – providing for the preparation and implementation of the Comprehensive Land Use Plans (CLUPs) of Local Government Units pursuant to the Local Government Code of 1991 and other pertinent laws.
- Memorandum Circular No. 54 – prescribing the guidelines of Sec. 20, R.A. 7160, authorizing cities/municipalities to reclassify lands into non-agricultural uses.
- Executive Order No. 124 – establishing priorities and procedures in evaluating areas for land conversion in regional agricultural/industrial centers, tourism development areas and sites for socialized housing.
Laws that regulate the relationship between sellers, developers and buyers of subdivision lots and condominium units, and provide quasi-judicial and criminal remedies for breach of statutory and contractual obligations.
- Subdivision and Condominium Buyer’s Protective Decree Presidential Decree No. 957 (As Amended By P.D. 1216) – regulating the sale of subdivision lots and condominiums, providing penalties for violations thereof.
- Presidential Decree No. 1216 – defining “Open Space” in residential subdivision and amending Sec. 31 of P.D. 957, requiring subdivision owners to provide roads, alleys, sidewalks and reserve open space for parks or recreational use.
- Presidential Decree No. 1344 – empowering the NHA to issue writ of execution in the enforcement of its decisions under P.D. 957
- Batas Pambansa 220 – an act authorizing the Ministry of Human Settlements to establish and promulgate different levels of standards and technical requirements for economic and socialized housing projects in urban and rural areas from those provided under Presidential Decrees No. 957, 1216, 1096 and 1185.
- Republic Act 7279 – Urban Development and Housing Act. An act to provide for a comprehensive and continuing urban development and housing program, establish the mechanism for its implementation, and for other purposes.
- Republic Act 4726 – The Condominium Act. An act to define condominium, establish requirements for its creation, and govern its incidents.
- Republic Act 7899 – amending Sections 4 and 6 of R.A. 4726
- Executive Order 71 – devolution of HLURBs function to approve subdivision plans to LGUs.
- Executive Order 184 – creating socialized housing one-stop processing centers.
- Republic Act 6552 – Realty Installment Buyer Protection Act.
Laws that protect the rights of tenants and occupants of lands within Urban Land Reform Zones / Areas for Priority Development (ULRZ /APD)